Friday, October 1, 2010

my thrifty fall decorations

Ok, so since little man came along, Ive cut back to 3 days a week at work and boy has it really hurt out budget. Im so glad to get to be home with him though, so finding some thriftier ways to do things is ok with me, so I was decorating for fall which I really didnt have much to begin with and started thinking that i really needed to go shopping and pick some stuff up. Well, I happened upon a couple of blogs that were talking about some thrifty decorations and these were my attempt at trying out some of those ideas:

I had to throw the one of the little man in there too, it was just too cute to pass up. Anyway, I had a plain pumpkin basket that I had picked up last year so I made a quick trip to the dollar store and picked up sunflowers for $2 a bunch and I only needed 1 bunch. so I trimmed them down to fit in the basket. Next I found some old flower vases from years ago when the hubby had gotten me flowers and filled them with cinnamon sticks, pinecones and some other various potpourri type things that I had then stuck the candles on top that I had once it was close enough that they would stick out. The salt and pepper shakers I found at the dollar store also for $1.50. so total spent for this arrangement was $3.50. My dad even came over and saw the candle holders and asked where I bought them:-)
Next I had seen a wreath that someone had made out of craft leaves from the dollar store so I decided to try it. I had gotten a bag of leaves for $1 and cut out a wreath shape from some cardboard that we had in the basement. I hot glued the leaves on once I figured out how I wanted them to be placed and then stuck a ribbon around it to attach it to the hook on my wall. So, here is the finished project:
I love it. Im thinking about making a larger one for the front door but Im not sure yet. This one is about 12" tall. Of course I'll have to get something heavier than cardboard for the base of it, but Im sure I could find something. Anyway, just wanted to post my little attempts at fall decorating on a budget. I have some other ideas that I will be doing hopefully this weekend so will post more pics then.

No comments:

Post a Comment